- American Horticulture Society (AHS) listing of Master Gardener programs by state. These programs are designed to provide intensive horticultural training and volunteer experience to gardeners. This is an excellent program for learning about plants and get community volunteering experience
- AHS listing of garden societies, clubs, and organizations – listing of regional and national garden groups
- National Gardening Association – a non-profit organization dedicated to education, health & wellness, environmental stewardship, community development, and home gardening
- Chicago Botanic Garden – an excellent garden with an extensive trialing program and active breeding and plant introduction efforts. Their Plant Evaluation Notes are thorough trial summaries.
- Economic Botany magazine – archive of the Society for Economic Botany’s quarterly publication, back to 1947, with articles available free in .pdf format. Articles cover a wide range of information on a very diverse selection of useful plants.
- Floriculture Info Search – a new resource to search both industry and professional sites for floriculture and plant topics. Highly recommended, a great resource!
- Missouri Botanical Gardens database list – extensive list of many (including specialized) plant databases. Their Plant Finder provides excellent info on over 6,000 plants grown in their gardens.
- Native American Ethnobotany database – hosted at the University of Michigan Dearborn
- Phytochemical and Ethnobotanical Database – Dr. James Duke’s excellent site for searching for ethnobotanical and medicinal uses of plants
- USDA Foreign Ag Service Global Crop Production Analysis statistics – USDA FAS statistics on crop production worldwide
- USDA Combined Noxious Plants list – listing of all US state and federal plants considered noxious
- USDA PLANTS database – PLANTS Database on native US plants
Employment and careers in agriculture and Horticulture
- Association of Zoos and Aquariums – includes Horticulturist postings from time to time
- ATTRA Sustainable Farming Internships and Apprenticeships – Appropriate Technology Transfer for Rural Areas (ATTRA) at the National Center for Appropriate Technology (NCAT) maintained listing
- Glassdoor – a nice, useable site compiling job listings from multiple sources, including Hort and green industry jobs
- Higher Ed Jobs – focused on jobs in higher education with numerous search options
- Jobs in Horticulture, Inc. (Hort Jobs) – a great resource
- Michigan State University Hort Jobs – a page with a good collection of links to other Hort job sites as well as its own job listings
- National Job Bank – listing of extension, outreach, research, and higher education jobs at land grant universities
- Orion Magazine job list – includes agriculture and educational jobs
- Public Garden Career Center – American Public Garden Assocation (APGA) list of jobs at public gardens.
- Sustainable Farming Internships and Apprenticeships – at the National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service – ATTRA
- US Department of Agriculture Jobs – the place to search for USDA positions
- World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms USA – list of over 1,600 organic farms (not all organic certified) in the US offering room and board for farm work